Academic Plans and Subplans by Campus, School, Department, Program, and CIP

While degree programs at the University of Kansas are approved by the Kansas Board of Regents, the academic plan and subplan codes available as "majors" are defined institutionally. The Excel report accessible via this page shows how the academic plans and subplans used currently or in the past by KU are assigned to Board of Regents programs and KU departments for institutional reporting and planning.

Column headers in the report indicate who defines, controls and uses the various fields of information. The first four fields are KBOR-approved items: department, program, CIP code, and degree. The next group of fields are defined by AIR and used for reporting. The remaining fields are defined in the student records system, SAKU, and are managed there. There is some crossover between these groups. Degree, for example, is a KBOR-approved field also maintained in SAKU. These crossover fields are important because they link KU's program inventory as approved by the Kansas Board of Regents with the actual plan codes used by Student Records.

The table also shows how KU's KBOR-approved programs relate to but are not always exactly the same as academic plans. Sometimes several plans are housed in one KBOR degree program. Other plans included in this table, such as nondegree-seeking, certificates, or premajors, are not KBOR-approved but are important for reporting. Medical Center plans are included as well, since some students attending Lawrence-campus courses are in Medical Center programs.

Please note that inactive plans are included. The "active/inactive" flag applies to the plan, NOT necessarily to the KBOR-approved degree program. Often an inactive plan is replaced with one or more new active plans for that degree program.

Spring 2021 report available. Fall 2020, Fall 2019, Fall 2018Fall 2017, Fall 2016, Fall 2015, Fall 2014, Fall 2013, Fall 2012, Fall 2011, Fall 2010, Fall 2009, and Fall 2008 reports available for historical comparison as needed.

Questions regarding this page should be directed to Gwen Bohling in Analytics, Institutional Research, & Effectiveness.